PDA

View Full Version : Season suppliments?

Damnation
28-02-08, 10:28 PM
My mare according to the vet might have a cystc ovary but hasn't seen her ( I rang for advice on a rather hormonal mare!! ). People at my yard have said to use a hormone suppliment to try and calm her down a bit (Has started coming in sideways and having a face on her like a slapped ar**!). She is only 5 so would she be ok to have a hormone suppliement and which ones would you folks reccoment? I've heard Oestress is a rather good one.

JenHunt
29-02-08, 01:22 PM
I guess its worth a try - certainly cheaper than the vet!
i've not had mares in years, but i used to work in a feed merchants, and have an animal nutrition degree.

the most popular ones are NAF Oestress, and Equine Health and Herbal Hormonise.

She isn't too young to use these supplements as she is old enough to have a foal, and in any case these rely on natural solutions to the problem rather than drugs.

let us know how you get on.

brightmount
29-02-08, 01:43 PM
I definitely noticed an improvement in my mare when I put her on NAF Oestress, however it is soooooooo expensive, I couldn't keep it up. I bought a tub of D&H 'Stroppy Mare' which was so much cheaper, and she was no worse for coming off the Oestress. Either they are as good as each other, or she has improved, or it was the time of year.

The 'Stroppy Mare' I can at least afford to keep going.

ktsval
29-02-08, 01:57 PM
I hav been using D&H Stroppy mare for a good while now and have seen a marked improvement in my mare. I ran out and thought she'd be fine until spring but quite quickly changed my mind and she's stayed on it.

Damnation
29-02-08, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys, this helps alot. Tomorrow, my mare will be on either the Stroppy Mare or Oestress! Hopefully I will have my mare back after that haha!

arwenplusone
29-02-08, 03:47 PM
ummm if your mare has a possible cystic ovary I would get her to the vet and get her scanned, instead of throwing money about on supplements.

If she has a cystic ovary she could have pain as well as a hormonal imbalance and tbh a supplement will do nothing to help her and is a waste of time.

Get her checked out and then if there is nothing wrong with her except PMT try the supplements. I am surprised your vet did not suggest that you take her in.

Damnation
01-03-08, 07:54 PM
The vet said to keep an eye on her for about 2 weeks and see if her seasons are irregular. Today we had an episode so everyone is being called out to check her! Dentist, Behaviourist, Farrier, Chiropractor, Vet etc. Plus she has either been in season for 3 weeks or on and off in season for 3 weeks, so I think the vet is the top of my priorities!

samp
04-03-08, 02:25 PM
I have just out my mare on slut mix after it came highly recommneded so we'll see how it goes