Piggy French piloted both her rides to clear rounds inside the time across country at Blenheim to lie first and second. Judy Bradwell’s Lemington Lett Dance leads on 42.7, while Wally French and Michael Underwood’s DHI Topper W is second with a score of 43.1.
That gives Piggy a fence in hand over third-placed Pippa Funnell and Billy Landretti, also clear inside the time to stay on their dressage mark of 47.7.
“Lemington’s feisty – he felt very excited that it was the Saturday morning of a three-day event and I’ve never jumped the first five fences so fast in my life,” said Piggy. “And Topper’s round was beautiful – I’m really proud of him.”
Pippa also finished the day ninth on Billy Shannon, and was delighted with both her and Billy Landretti.
“They were both magic. I’m so pleased that they both kept galloping to the line,” she said.
The young American rider Tiana Coudray jumped from 13th after dressage to fourth on Ringwood Magister, staying on 49.4.
Bettina Hoy, who led the dressage on Lanfranco TSF, added 7.6 time-faults to finish Saturday on 49.7, but was very pleased to jump a clear round.
“Now I have to learn to ride him a bit faster!” said the German rider.
Vittoria Panizzon rose from 15th to fifth with Borough Pennyz, while South Africa’s Alexander Peternell dropped a place from fifth to sixth with six time-faults on AP Uprising.
Sarah Cohen, fourth after dressage, dropped out of contention after Irish Jester ran out at fence 12. And Andrew Nicholson was eliminated on sixth-placed Quimbo for jumping the wrong fence at an alternative.
The cross-country caused few problems – 64 of the 93 starters went clear, 12 of them inside the time.
William Fox-Pitt held on to his lead in the CIC*** for eight and nine-year-olds, showjumping clear on Oslo to stay on 42.3. He is also third on Lionheart, who also showjumped clear, on 47.9.
Mark Todd splits William’s rides in second with NZB Campino, who knocked one fence down. Sarah Cohen stays fourth on Treason.
1. Piggy French (GBR) on Lemington Lett Dance 42.7
2. Piggy French (GBR) on DHI Topper W 43.1
3. Pippa Funnell (GBR) on Billy Landretti 47.7
4. Tiana Coudray (USA) on Ringwood Magister 49.4
5. Bettina Hoy (GER) on Lanfranco TSF 49.7
6. Vittoria Panizzon (ITA) on Borough Pennyz 50.4
7. Alexander Peternell (RSA) on AP Uprising 50.8
8. Clarke Johnstone (NZL) on Orient Express VI 51.9
9. Pippa Funnell (GBR) on Billy Shannon 52.1
10. Paul Sims (GBR) on French Polish 53.3
1. William Fox-Pitt (GBR) Oslo 43.3
2. Mark Todd (NZL) NZB Campion 47.1
3. William Fox-Pitt (GBR) Lionheart 47.9
3.. Sarah Cohen (GBR) Treason 47.9
5. Lucinda Fredericks (AUS) Latina 43 49.2
6. Ciaran Glynn (IRE) Don’t Tell Punch 50
7. Susanna Bordone (ITA) Amacuzzi 51.2
8. Lucy Jackson (NZL) Kilcoltrim Ambassador 51.7
9. Michael Jackson (GBR) Jagganath 52.7
10. Franciso Seabra (POR) Candar Van Het Neerveld 53.1
10. Robert Sirch (GER) Louella 53.1