The Yorkshire Post Bramham Horse Trials features an international field
The reigning European Champion Pippa Funnell, fresh from her success at Badminton, leads a classy field atthis week’s Yorkshire Post Bramham International Horse Trials (6-9 June).
No fewer than six previous Bramham-winning riders are in the line-up, including Pippa riding Walkinshaws’ Walk On Star. Australia’s Paul Tapner, who won the last running in 2000, comes with AEA Dutch Starman. He is joined by Ian Stark (Saucy Brown), William Fox-Pitt (Highland Lad and Just A Sovereign), Tina Cook (Archrival II) and Andrew Hoy (Mr Pracatan).
Other stars hoping for a first win at Bramham include Polly Stockton, Andrew Nicholson and Karen O’Connor.
Ten nations are represented at the event: Britain, USA, Sweden, Ireland, Switzerland, Canada,, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Spain, who will be hosting the World Equestrian Games in just over three months’ time.
In addition to the senior section, an inaugural under-25 championship class will take place at this year’s event. A showcase of the best young eventing talent, the Hartpury College-sponsored under-25 championship will include many potential stars of the future.
Other attractions include the Holroyd Construction Mix and Match on the Sunday, which will see 12 pairs of riders pit their skills against each other and the clock over show jumps and cross-country obstacles. The fastest pair wins. Entered riders include the husband and wife team of Pippa and William Funnell, Di Lampard, Tim Stockdale, Michael Whitaker and Geoff Billington. William Fox-Pitt, Leslie Law, Blyth Tait, Tina Cook and Andrew Hoy represent the eventers.
Bramham Fact File
Thursday, 6 June
- Competition horse and young stock classes, 8.30am; senior CCI dressage, 9am; hunter show, 12pm
Friday, 7 June
- Senior CCI dressage, 9am; under-25s dressage, 9am; young event horse qualifier, 1.30pm
Saturday, 8 June
- CCI seniors and under-25s speed & endurance, 8.30am; BSJA show jumping, 1.45pm
Sunday, 9 June
- CCI seniors final horse inspection, 8.30am; CCI under-25 final horse inspection 9.30am; CCI seniors show jumping, 10am-12.30pm; under-25s parade & show jumping, 10.45am; under-25s prize-giving, 12pm; Mix & Match – show jumpers and eventers relay class, 12.15pm; CCI seniors show jumping (last 25 places), 1.30pm; BSJA accumulator, 1.45pm; seniors prize-giving, 2.30pm; parade of hounds, 3pm; BSJA grand prix, 3.15pm; Pony Club games, 3.30pm
- £6 per person Thursday/Friday, £10 on Saturday, £8 on Sunday. Accompanied children 12 & under free. For information (tel: 01937 846005) or visit website www.bramham-horse.co.uk
- Bramham Horse Trials is situated on the A1, five miles south of Wetherby, 10 miles from Leeds and 15 miles from York.
Read an in-depth Bramham preview in Horse & Hound (30 May), or click here to subscribe and enjoy Horse & Hound delivered to your door every week.
Read more eventing news: